Sunday, April 27, 2008

A few different things

Some more wipes - those curves are getting better! Alastair has an upset tummy atm so the extra wipes are already coming in handy, blergh.

Bath mitts. The left-hand one was my first effort before I realised I didn't like how it was constructed (I was making it up as I went along) and got a better idea. I also decided it was too long. So that one's for me! The right-hand one is a present for an online baby swap thingy I'm doing on a due in July board (and I know they won't read this) - much happier with how this turned out.

Another part of the baby swap gift - one of those burp cloths that fits over your shoulder. I had some store-bought ones with Emma and they were pretty useful (though a folded-in-half terry flat serves the same purpose, it isn't as cute). It's 2 layers of cotton flannelette with a polar fleece backing to keep clothes dry(ish).

Hopefully the recipient doesn't mind hand-made things. I don't think she is planning to use cloth, which is why I didn't just make a nappy or two :) I'm going to buy a little rattle or chew toy or something to round out the package, just in case she doesn't like hand-made! I just love making baby things.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Today's efforts

Pair of corduroy pants for Alastair, who is currently obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine:

I know it seems kind of silly to have painstakingly handmade clothes with a mass media character on them - but if he's going to be obsessed with Thomas, he may as well be so in individual style!

Unfortunately they're too long, I really need to adjust this pattern. The cuffs were quite fiddly so I am not keen on unpicking them, but I really think I need to *sigh*

This is a lovely soft thin-wale corduroy, btw. I got it as a 'short roll' from a co-op, which means (I think) it's basically the extra width off the loom that clothing manufacturers don't want - perfect for kids' clothes, and nice and cheap.

And a nice simple project, some flannelette wipes:

I'm planning on making a few of these at a time over the next few weeks to practice my overlocking (especially curves) before I attack some mama pads or any more nappies. After all, a wipe is still pretty useful even if its a wonky shape, and with two in nappies, I doubt I can have too many wipes.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Yum yum - muffins and newborn fluff

The kids and I made some orange muffins today with a few of our home-grown oranges. Yummmmmmm. I modified the recipe a little - left off the crunchy topping (though Emma decided we must ice them), and used half wholemeal flour. A really good recipe, nice and moist and flavoursome, not too sweet. I think next time I'll try adding some sultanas, maybe after soaking them in orange juice first. (Seriously, we still have a LOT of oranges.)

Emma and Alastair doing the icing. Yes, it had to be pink, even though it's made with orange juice.

Here are two pairs of newborn/small longies I knitted from the Picky Pants pattern. I did most of the knitting while I was in the UK, but am only posting photos now. They still need elastic/drawstring in the waist.

And here's my sewing 'area':

It closes up really small - sewing machine lowers on the elevator thingy and the overlocker goes away in the little cupboard, then the flaps all fold in. It will be better when it's in a dedicated 'hobby' room so I can leave things out for a day or so, but it's much better than the non-existent sewing area I had before. The stuff on the table is a pair of corduroy pants I'm making for Alastair, but they're only half done.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Newborn nappy!

I made my first newborn nappy for baby #3 tonight! (Seeing as I cleared out the fabric stash a little.) I am sooooo rusty, but the baby's only going to pee and poo in it anyway :P

Outer: cotton knit.
Hidden body layer: cotton jersey.
Inner: 100% cotton white velour (soooo soft)
Sewn-in quick-dry soaker: 2 layers cotton jersey sandwiched between 2 layers of cotton velour.

And next to a Green Kids pocket for comparison:

It's made using the Darling Diapers free newborn fitted pattern. It's supposed to be made with snaps, but I've lent my snap press to a friend and I didn't want to wait - it should have two rows of snaps on the front, and a snap-down for the umbilical cord stump. So it will fit EVEN smaller! But I think the velcro version will be fine, because I don't make small babies. I like the pattern! A word of caution if you want to use it, though, it's designed for knits, not wovens, or it won't fit for long.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Mmm, it's orange season

The first of this year's crop. They're being a bit funny this year - still quite a bit of green but if I wait any longer the fruit fly get in and/or they fall and get eaten by bugs. So I think they may be destined for cooking/baking rather than eating on their own. Still, I love orange puddings, cakes, etc so it's no great loss! We're out of flour and eggs at the moment so it's off to the shops tomorrow.

My Thuja socks. I've turned the heel and am almost done with the gusset. There are a few errors, but they'll be house socks/bedsocks anyway so it really doesn't matter. That's why I used a cheap wool and an 8-ply pattern to start with - not investing huge amounts of money or time in my first effort.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Found the battery charger.

Fabric sale over here:

Hemp, wool, fleece, suedecloth, PUL, sherpa, velour, terry towelling, cotton wovens (including Dora and Winnie the Pooh, Spiderman/Batman quilt panels, Star Wars, Michael Miller), FOE, chalkcloth, flannelette, and so on.

Email me at georgina.ker at gmail dot com if you want to buy anything!

(And I still have seven tubs of fabric after pruning this *blush*)