Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Day 16 - happy face biscuits
250g butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar (forgot to weigh this for proper Thermomix conversion)
few drops vanilla extract
4 cups/530g plain flour
jam for filling
1. Cream together butter and sugar (Thermomix: 30 seconds or so at speed 4)
2. Beat in eggs and vanilla (Thermomix: about 15 seconds at speed 4)
3. Stir in the flour and mix to a fairly soft dough (Thermomix: add the flour in batches and incorporate until a dough is formed)
4. Turn onto a floured board and knead gently (Thermomix: 30 seconds at interval speed)
5. Roll out to 3mm thickness and cut into rounds. From half of these, cut out eyes and mouth.
6. Place on greased baking sheets and bake at 190 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden-brown. Leave on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
7. When cool, spread biscuits with jam and sandwich together.
Based on a recipe from a very old Margaret Fulton cookbook.
Alastair helped me make these. The faces are a bit wonky and therefore creepy-looking, don't you think? We also didn't roll out the dough quite thin enough, and used quite a large round cutter, so there's a LOT of biscuit in these.
However, they sure are yummy! There's nothing like making food with happy faces on for a feel-good activity :)